CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Santa is a Woman

Have you ever heard somebody say God might be a woman?

Personally I don't really care whether or not God really is a woman because I don't think God is limited categorically to gender.

I'm sure you've met people that really do think God 1. is female or 2. is not male. I don't think I've ever heard anybody claim that Santa might be a woman. Why do you suppose that is? I might be going out on a limb here, but I feel like those who assert that God could be a woman probably don't take the same stance on the possibility of Santa being a woman. I also feel and think but have no data to assert that those who take issue with God's sex probably don't feel that there even is a God, or that if there is one, it is not defined by the Bible or Christianity, and thus is just as much a mythological creature as Santa. So it is on this assumption that I say, "Santa is a girl." So it wouldn't be the same discussion if we were to agree that God is the God of the Bible (and thus our conversation regarding his gender-like aspects are simply you and I trying to better see God's face) while Santa is the male icon created by several hundred years of secular Christmas tradition.

Strange thoughts to have running through my mind on Christmas Eve...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This doesn't really give an opportunity to comment. If I believe in the God of the Bible then we are agreed and this post is a rant against those who don't believe. If I don't believe in the Bible, but I believe that Santa Clause is the modern mythical title attributable historically to Nicholas of Myra then I miss your Logic. "Santa Clause" or Nicholas of Myra really walked the earth, and we later created legends. Jesus Christ (God) also walked the earth which is most likely why I would attribute God to being a Male. Their are many more arguments for either gender, but while I realize these are just rants, in the interest of a logical argument, your assumption is flawed from the get go. Comparing God and any creature on this earth is problematic. I disagree with putting Santa Clause and God in the same sentence.