CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kid Verses

I have a daydream of my little girl running around quoting John 3:16 in between singing the ABCs.

So, I want to write a book. Actually, not write it, just plagiarize the Bible.


In this book, I want to organize Bible verses for my children to commit to memory. For we know that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." II Timothy 3:16-17


I hope for my children to develop a conscience framed by God's Word (rather than this world) well before they begin to understand the words themselves. "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it." Joshua 1:8


Or should I say, I would like them to internalize scripture before they grow up and forget their awesome understanding of God's Love. ""I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3-4


Here are some verse ideas I have so far (ordered only in the sequence they came to me, and probably more for me at 32 years old rather than my little girl):


James 1:19-20
Psalm 23
Ephesians 6:1-3 (but not 4 :) )
Ephesians 6:10-20
Philippians 4:4-8
Exodus 20:1-17
1 Corinthians 13:1-8
Matthew 5:3-12


Pray on it and post your suggestions.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I love the idea of children learning verses, especially early on when they are memorizing so many other things as well (songs, numbers, maybe things they see on TV?). By the time they're old enough to know what the words mean, they might as well be meaningful.

Anonymous said...

Deuteronomy 6:4-6

Anonymous said...

James 1:2-3 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

- I think they will face many a trial, and meditating on these words has helped me many a time.

Theo said...

Luke 24:45 "Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures." (NIV)

Elizabeth said...

This post absolutely inspired/convicted me (Colleen's comment, too). I have spent so much time on ABCs/counting/colors and so little time on God's word. As a result, we started with John 3:16 and the Chick was saying it with us in two days! It really was amazing and beautiful and awe-inspiring.

Since the Chick has been able to talk, we've been having her memorize/recite catechism answers. The one we use is the Great Commission Publication's First Catechism based on Engel's Catechism for Young Children. She already has the first four answers down cold. When I was growing up, we used the Lutheran Small Catechism. I am thankful as an adult that I was forced to memorize all the creeds and liturgy.

Also, a friend recently recommended Acts 30:25, which has come in handy during training/correction situations.